Common Error Messages and Abrupt Behavior Shown by Corrupt PowerPoint Presentations
PowerPoint is one of the popular and highly used applications of Microsoft PowerPoint suite. Whether it is a professional who is going to deliver presentation in front of corporate officials or a school boy who has to present the understanding of a chapter in front of teachers, the use of PowerPoint is prominent. The easy to understand, yet advance features of this application is responsible for its wide use and popularity. However, despite these useful features, a PowerPoint presentation may at times get corrupt and cause inaccessibility of data stored in it. Here are some common error messages in corrupt PowerPoint files that you’re likely to encounter.
Common Error Messages in Corrupt PowerPoint Files
Corrupt Microsoft PowerPoint presentation renders an error message while opening, closing, or saving a presentation or at times starts behaving abruptly. Some common error messages and unexpected symptoms that a user encounters while he/she tries to access data from a corrupt presentation are:
- “PowerPoint cannot open the type of file represented by filename.ppt.”
- “This file is not in a recognizable format”
- “Unable to read files”
- “POWERPOINT.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.”
- “’re:sentation. Some common error messages that a user encounters while he/she tries to access data from a corrupt presentation unnamed.ppt cannot be opened. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to open a read-only location. Or, the server on which the presentation is stored on may not be responding”
The abrupt behaviors shown by a corrupt PowerPoint presentation file are:
- Text or object overlapping;
- Animations included in the file stop working; or
- Objects are placed improperly all around the slides.
These error messages and such behavior of MS PowerPoint are seen when:
- The PowerPoint file is password protected;
- You have downloaded the file from an email;
- You are using an earlier version of MS PowerPoint to open a presentation created in latest version of Power Point; or
- Closed the PowerPoint presentation abruptly.
However, MS PowerPoint provides you an inbuilt utility named as ‘Open and Repair’ to repair the corrupt MS PowerPoint files. However, this option is provided for MS PowerPoint XP and 2003. Follow below mentioned steps to use this utility:
1. Open MS PowerPoint
2. Select the problem file and right click on it
3. Rather than clicking ‘Open’ option, navigate to the ‘Open and Repair’.
If your PowerPoint file is severely corrupt, then ‘Open and Repair’ utility becomes unable to repair it. In that case, use of an efficient PowerPoint file recovery software can do the needful for you. Professional PowerPoint repair tool repairs corrupt or damaged PowerPoint file and restores all your precious data including headers, footers, WordArt objects, and charts etc.
Author Bio: This post is written by Adam Gorge. Adam is currently researching Microsoft PowerPoint . He is an expert handler of PowerPoint errors, PowerPoint file corruption errors etc. He has written many articles on Third Party PowerPoint Recovery Software, PowerPoint File corruption issues, PowerPoint inbuilt utilities etc.