If you are using an email client, one of the most important things to know is how to recall a message. Most email users often find ourselves in a situation where we sent a wrong email to a client or a customer, or inadvertently sent the right email to the wrong recipients. If you are quick and alert, you can rectify the mistake by recalling the message as soon as it is sent. This provides a better chance that the email has not been opened by the recipient. However, if the recipient has opened up the message that you sent, you will not be able to recall the message. So here’s what you need to know before you recall a message in Outlook 2010 and the steps to do it.
Failure of Message Recall Feature
Recalling a message will be successful only in certain situations. Some of the instances where it won’t work include the following.
- When the email recipient is using an email client other than Outlook.
- When the email recipient is not logged on to the mail service provider.
- When the email recipient is working offline or is using Cached Exchange Mode.
- When the message is moved from the Inbox.
- When the message is opened either in the Preview Pane or Reading pane and is marked as Read.
This basically means that to recall a message in Outlook 2010 successfully, both the sender and receiver must be using an Exchange account and the recipient must not have read the email before to initiate the action.
To Recall a Message in Outlook 2010
1. Display the Sent Items folder.
2. Open the message you want to recall.
3. On the Message tab, in the Move group, click Actions.
4. From the drop-down list, select Recall This Message.
5. The Recall This Message dialog box opens. In the dialog box, select an option.
- Select Delete unread copies of this message to delete any unread copies of the message in the recipients Inbox.
- Select Delete unread copies and replace with a new message to delete any unread copies and replace it with a new message in the recipients Inbox.
6. Click OK.
You must remember that you can recall a message only if your email account is configured using the Microsoft Exchange server.
Downloadable: PDF Copy
Get the latest update in your inbox.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get tips, tutorials, and app reviews in your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing. You will receive an email from us soon. Please confirm subscription.
Something went wrong.