For those of you who applied for an invitation and received the new upgrade, here’s a preview of what the New Facebook Messages feature has to offer and a quick tutorial on how to upgrade to Facebook Messages feature. For the rest, you can request for an early access and hope to get an early invite or just wait until Facebook gradually sends an upgrade invite.
Features of Facebook Messages
1. View your messages, chats, and texts in one single location.
2. View related conversations with a contact in one single conversation thread.
3. Demarcate email messages from sources other than your friends in a separate folder.
4. Attach Office documents such as Word Excel and PowerPoint.
5. View Office documents such as Word Excel and PowerPoint on Office Web Apps.
How to Upgrade to Facebook Messages
1. Login to your Facebook profile.
2. Click the Upgrade Now button.
3. Claim your Facebook email address. Click Activate Email.
4. Click Next.
5. To activate the text messaging feature, choose a country and mobile carrier and click Next.
6. Obtain and enter the confirmation code and click Activate Text Messaging.
7. Click Next to complete the upgrade to Facebook Messages.
8. Invite friends by clicking the Invite Friends link at the bottom of the page, select the friends you want to invite and click Submit.
Just remember that the upgrade is being rolled out slowly, so your friends may have to wait a bit before they can integrate their messages.