If you have a large Twitter following, you may find that it’s hard to keep up with the endless stream of messages that flow every second of the day. Worse still, you may even miss out on certain important ones in the blink of an eye. There may be times when you are particularly keen on receiving tweets from some of the people you follow. Twitter’s customization options lets you receive SMS alerts from specific Twitter users. The customization is pretty simple, and all you need to do is setup your mobile number on Twitter. Hopefully, this will drive out much of the noise and help you get some relevancy out of this immensely popular social tool.
How to Receive SMS Alerts from Specific Twitter Users
1. Log in to your Twitter account.
2. Select the user profile of the person whose tweets you want to get alerts on.
3. On the user’s profile page, click the tiny drop down list you see to the left of the Following button, and select Turn on mobile notifications.
3. In the Setup mobile notifications box, click Set up phone.
4. In the Add your mobile phone to your account screen, activate Twitter text messaging by entering details of your country, your phone number, and your carrier. Then click Activate phone.
Ads by Google
Note: Twitter does not support all carriers. If your carrier is not supported, you cannot receive Tweet alerts. To check if your carrier is supported click here.
5. From your mobile phone, send the shortcode that is displayed on YOUR Twitter screen to confirm activation.
Finally, on the Mobile page, select the options you want to use for sending and receiving text notifications. You can activate or deactivate options to let others find you by your mobile number, receive alerts when someone DMs you, when someone new follows you and so on.
Now that you’ve set up your first SMS alert, go back and add other users to the list. You’ll only need to go to the specific user profile and select Turn on mobile notifications.
You have now customized Twitter to receive SMS alerts from specific Twitter users!