Many times we find ourselves in need of a software or a program that can convert MP4 to MP3 format. Most often, we download some great video files but wish to also have an MP3 version of the song to add to our mobile playlists. While there are plenty of online tools that will do the conversion, this requires you to both upload and download files, which can be a bit annoying. If you’re looking for a quicker solution, or if you do file conversions often, having a downloadable program works best. One such program that does the job very well is the open source software Avidemux. In this post, we’ll show you how you can easily convert MP4 to MP3 format.
Usually a video file will contain audio, video and a wrapper (which holds stuff like the subtitles, DVD menus and such). When you do a video conversion, you basically strip out the audio track from a video file to extract it from the wrapper. It can then be saved as an .MP3, or in any other desired audio format.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 File Format Using Avidemux
1. First of all, you’ll need to download Avidemux. You can do that by clicking here.
2. When the download is complete, run the EXE file and install it on your PC. This will be a clean install and will get completed in less than a minute.
3. Launch Avidemux and you’ll see a clean interface with various options available on screen.
4. Click File->Open and navigate to the location where your MP4 file is stored. Select the file and click Open to add it to the program. Alternately, you can click the Folder icon below the File menu to browse to the video file location.
5. In the Audio Output section, from the Copy drop-down list, select MP3 (lame.)
Ads by Google
6. If you want to alter the bitrate mode, bitrate and quality, in the Audio Output section, click Configure. In the LAME Configuration window, make the necessary adjustments. For the purpose of this tutorial, we are going to retain the default settings.
7. Click the Audio menu (at the top of the window) and select Save audio. Navigate to the location where you want to save the file , enter a name for it, and click Save. Ensure that you append .MP3 to the file name as the software doesn’t do it by default.
You will instantly see a progress window showing you the file conversion. Once that is done, your MP4 file is converted to MP3. You can navigate to the location and move it to your smartphone to add to your playlist.
If you have been struggling to convert MP4 to MP3 Avidemux offers a quick and simple way to do it, so go ahead and give it a try.