iTunes have had a number of DJ apps for a few years now, but realistically they were all typically novelty items more than anything else. With that being said, the last couple of years have seen some spectacular apps being created for DJs giving them a chance to make some great tracks and music. However, there’s no point in getting carried away just yet, as we are a long way off iPads and iPhones replacing the more traditional turntables and controllers. However, Traktor DJ app for iOS aims to make a difference.
Traktor DJ App for iOS Review
The Traktor DJ app was released to the iOS market in May 2013 and already it is receiving rave reviews. The vast majority of DJs who have used the app claim that it has been extremely well implemented and definitely makes life on the decks far easier. There is a more advanced laptop version of Traktor that has been used for a few years now, but this app definitely helps with mixing, loops and effects.
Features of Traktor DJ
- The app was created by Native Instruments who have made some of the leading DJ software for many years.
- You have the ability to use pinch and swipe via your iPhone just as is possible through conventional DJing methods.
- You have direct access to the iTunes library via the app.
- You will notice the interface provides waveform display, which will help with scratching and looping.
- You can view one deck via your iPhone or multiple decks through the split-screen feature.
- This app makes starting out as a DJ extremely affordable.
- The browser will recommend tunes to you based on the current keys and tempos being used.
- The notification center will provide additional tips and maybe even new techniques you haven’t tried before.
- There is a wide variety of DJ effects built into the app, including Delay, Reverb and BeatMasher.
- You can prepare your tracks while on the move and away from your decks.
- You can record and share mixes via your iPhone.
- You are required to open a free Dropbox account in order to use the app.
Availability of Traktor DJ App for iOS
The Traktor DJ app is located in the Music category of iTunes. It is compatible with iPhone (and has been fully optimized for iPhone 5), iPad and iPod touch and will require an operating system of iOS 6.0 or later. The minimum requirements will be iPhone 4 or higher and 4th generation or higher iPod touch. It should be mentioned that the app doesn’t currently work with iTunes match, although the creators are working hard on adding this feature. Traktor DJ is available for $2.99 on iPhone and $19.99 on iPad.
The app is probably the best DJ app for iPad, although the iPhone version is essentially the same, but stored into a smaller space, but the additional room of the tablet version definitely makes DJing easier. The app has been extremely well designed to work perfectly with touch screen, as you would expect with any iOS device. If you have been looking for the perfect DJ apps for your iOS device, then this is where you search ends.
Author, Jenny Wadlow, is a freelance blogger and a music enthusiast. When she is not writing for a profession, she enjoys listening to music on her studio headphones.