Unlike Apple and Google who are quite generous in appeasing customers who have purchased bad apps and request app refunds, Microsoft isn’t so forthcoming. The Windows Phone store is very explicit in informing you prior to every purchase that it does not allow for refunds. There may have been occasions where refunds are given but they are few and far between.
You can contact the developers themselves and hope that they will refund, but its not a given, considering that Microsoft takes a part of the sales proceeds as commission and the devs will be losing money by making such refunds, but it is known to happen sometimes. If you still feel justified with your case, you can contact a Microsoft support person and explain your situation. This doesn’t guarantee a refund, but its worth a try.
Request App Refunds from Windows Phone Store
To request an app refund from Windows Phone store:
2. Log into your account and complete the account verification process.
3. You will be taken to your Account Settings page where you will also see your billing related data.
4. On the left pane, click Billing Help and then on the right pane, click Getting help-> Contact support.
5. In the next screen, from the Product drop-down menu, select Windows Store.
6. From the Problem type drop-down which appears later, select Apps & Windows Store.
7. From the Category drop-down, select Getting a refund.
8. Finally, in the Contact us section, select an option to contact a customer support executive and explain your case.
You could also connect with a Windows phone support executive by clicking this link, signing in and then clicking the Chat option.
You won’t directly chat with the support person though. You’ll have to fill in an eform explaining your problem, hit the Submit button, and then wait to hear back from them.
As I mentioned before, this does not guarantee that you will be successful in getting a refund, but if you plan to go ahead with your request, at the moment, these are your options.
How to Request an App Refund in iTunes
1. Login to iTunes with your Apple ID on your Mac or PC. Don’t try this on your mobile device.
2. In the Sign in section, click your email address and from the drop-down, choose Account.
3. Scroll down to the Purchase History section and click See All.
Ads by Google
4. On the Purchase History page, you will see a list of all the iOS games and apps you purchased through iTunes. At the bottom of the page, click Report a Problem.
5. Select the app that you wish to get a refund. You will notice a Report a Problem link associated with each app that you have in your Purchase history. Click the Report a Problem link associated with the app.
6. In the next screen, from the dropdown list, select the problem. iTunes offers quite a few reasons why you might have a problem. In the Comments section, write in the reason for requesting a refund.
7. Click Submit.
While Apple does not guarantee refund of purchases, you may sometimes be justified in your request. In any case, you will receive an email from Apple informing you of their decision.
How to Get App Refunds on Google Play Store
You can claim app refunds from the Play Store within two hours from the time of purchase. This was earlier just 15 minutes but Google has opened up the timeframe to a more sensible time with a recent update. To request a refund from your Android device:
1. Open Play Store app on your Android.
2. Tap the menu icon at the top left of the screen and choose My apps.
3. Select the app you want to return and then select Refund.
The Refund option will be available to you only if you are claiming the refund within two hours. If the two hour window is crossed, you cannot claim a refund via your Android device.
However, if you still have a solid reason for returning your purchase and claiming a refund, you can submit a request to Google via the web browser. Google will consider your request and only under the most extenuating circumstances, they will make an exception. Here’s how you make a submission to Google via the web browser.
1. Open up Google Play on your web browser and ensure that you are logged in.
2. At the top-right of the screen, click the Gear icon and choose My orders.
3. Navigate to the app you want to claim a refund and select the vertical three dots icon and then select Report a problem.
4. In the Report a problem pop up window, select I’d like to request a refund.
5. In the message box, type the reason for requesting a refund and click Submit.
Don’t worry that the description in the image above indicates that the window is 15 minutes. The documentation has not been updated as yet. Also remember to uninstall the application once you have placed your request. You will receive a cancellation email after you’ve uninstalled the app or game. Now you’ll just have to wait for your Google app refund or appropriate reply.