Strong passwords for setting up online accounts have not stopped hackers from pilfering them time and again and now the need of the hour appears to be two step verification. If you have an Apple device, but still haven’t enabled two step verification, its time you did. In this tutorial we will show you how to setup two step verification for iCloud and iTunes accounts. You can also check our other articles on how to set up two factor authentication for Gmail, Yahoo, Dropbox, and Microsoft accounts.
To Setup Two Step Verification for iCloud and iTunes
1. Navigate to the Apple ID account page. and click the manage your Apple ID button.
2. Sign in using your Apple ID credentials.
3. After you log in, on the left pane, select Password and Security.
4. You will be required to provide answers to two security questions. These questions will be the ones you answered to when you set up your device.
5. You will then be directed to the Manage your security settings page. In the Two-Step Verification section, click the Get Started link.
6. , Read through the instructions on the screen and click Continue.
7. In the next screen, read through the instructions and the FAQ’s if you wish to, and click Continue.
8. This will take you to another screen reminding you what you need to remember. You can see the instructions in the image below. Click Get Started.
9. In the Step 1 of 4: Set up your trusted devices page, click add a phone number and input your phone number in the screen that pops out. Click Next. Apple will send you an SMS containing a verification code. Enter this 4 digit code in the screen that follows and click Verify. You can also add another phone number or verify your identity using any device that has the Find my iPhone feature enabled. All future codes will be sent only to the Apple trusted device you set up here. Once you have completed the device verification, click Continue.
10. In the Step 2 of 4: Print your Recovery Key page, print or write down the recovery key that Apple has generated for you and click Continue.
11. In the Step 3 of 4: Confirm your Recovery Key page, enter the recovery key and click Confirm.
12. In the Step 4 of 4: Enable two-step verification page, confirm that you have read and understood the conditions. Check the checkbox at the end of the conditions and click Enable two step verification.
13. On the final screen, two step verification process will be confirmed. Click Done.
Generate an App Specific Password
If you use iCloud with any third party apps such as email, or calendars, you need to generate an app specific password to sign in securely. To generate an app specific password :
1. Ensure that you are signed into your Apple ID account.
2. Verify your identity and on the next screen, select Password and Security.
3. Scroll down and click Generate an App-Specific Password.
4. In the pop up that follows, enter a label to help you remember what the password is created for and click Generate.
5. You will receive a password that must be entered into the password field of the app you use with iCloud.
Now that you have setup two step verification for iCloud and iTunes accounts, remember that if you forget your password and lose the recovery key and your trusted device, you won’t be able to access your device at all.