Listening to music while browsing the web is the most natural thing to do. Last month we reviewed the brilliant Streamus extension for Chrome that let you stream YouTube music right from the address bar of your Chrome browser. If you don’t have free WiFi to stream online music, or just prefer to listen to music stored locally on your PC, you can make use of a Firefox extension called Local Music Player. Here's a look at how the extension works.
Local Music Player for Firefox
Local Music Player for Firefox is a free extension that installs on your browser without requiring a restart. After installation, you’ll find the vinyl record icon installed at the top right corner of your browser. Hit the button and you’ll find the player extending itself as a toolbar on the window. To select your music folder, click the folder icon and select the directory where you want the player to pick up songs from.
Once you add the directory, all the song titles in that directory will get populated in the window. Just hit the Play button to start listening. You’ll also notice a small desktop pop up notifying you of the next song that is about to play.
Local Music Player is a simple extension that lets you listen to songs stored on your PC. The extension uses HTML5 audio element, which means it supports MP3, MP4, WAV and OGG files. You don’t have options to delete songs that are queued up nor do you have drag and drop options to change the order in which the music flows. Also you’ll have to hit the Repeat All button if you want the music to play continuously. That said, you do have options to repeat a single track or play random tunes.
Local Music Player may not have a great UI but if you want songs from your local PC to be picked up and played without having to open up your music player, this extension does a pretty decent job of that. Here’s a quick look at its key features:
Ads by Google
Features of Local Music Player Firefox Extension
- Allows you to add/remove music directories to library (stored across sessions)
- Provides option for recursive directory scan
- Lets you play, pause, go to previous/next song, seek/skip and stop songs
- Only plays single song by default
- Allows you to repeat all songs sequentially
- Allows you to play songs randomly
- Has toolbar option to view and change currently playing song
- Has volume adjustment controls and mute/unmute buttons
- Lets you choose if you want desktop notification on start of next song
- Lets you filter songs
- Lets you share currently playing song on Twitter and Tumblr
If you are on the lookout for a handy music player on your browser, do check out Local Music Player for Firefox.
Ads by Google