Facebook Timeline has given opportunities for developers to come up with new ways for user engagement; one of which involves the ability to broadcast videos to your Facebook fans on your timeline. This comes courtesy Ustream, a popular video streaming service provider. Ustream has been around for some time now, but is just integrating the app with the Timeline feature. It hopes to make video broadcasting and viewing possible in real time and has already tested it on popular networks, though it may take a few more weeks to become fully operational. In this post, we’ll take a look at how to broadcast videos on Facebook to your fans using Ustream.
Once you install Ustream app for Facebook, you can discover live videos that your friends are watching. You can add Ustream channels or videos to your timeline and share channels that you or your friends discovered with others. You also have the option to control which videos you want displayed to your Facebook fans.
Let’s now take a look at how you can install and broadcast videos on Facebook.
How to Broadcast Videos on Facebook to Your Fans
1. Head on over to
2. On the page, click Get it Now.
3. Sign in to Facebook, if you’re not already signed in.
4. You may need to click the Get it Now button again. Then select the Facebook Fan page where you want to install the application and click Add Ustream Live. Remember, you can install Ustream for Facebook only on your Facebook Fan page and not on your Facebook profile page.
5. The Ustream app will now be displayed as a tab below the Facebook Timeline Cover photo. Click the link below the thumbnail image to navigate to the Ustream page.
6. You will now be required to login to Ustream with your Ustream credentials. If you haven’t already created an account with Ustream, you can do it here.
7. Now set up a channel. This can either be one of your own channels or you can share the URL of a channel already created in Ustream.
8. Follow the steps in the wizard to configure your Ustream Live Settings. They are pretty simple to follow.
9. After customizing your layout, click Preview to preview the broadcast page, and then click Save Changes to publish the channel.
Your fans can now click the video link on your Fan page to watch the broadcast.
As a broadcaster, you can advertise your event by using the share button to write a wall post announcing your broadcast; or using the Invite Friends button to invite your friends individually. Viewers can add comments below the video and click Join the Crowd button to receive notifications on when the channel will go live.
What do you think of Ustream? Have you broadcast videos to your fans using this app? Share your Ustream experience with us.
Follow us on Twitter or join our Facebook fan page to get the latest tutorials, updates and how-to articles on Microsoft, Google and Apple products.
Leave a Reply