One of the best productivity applications on the cloud that lets you create, edit, and share documents online is Google Docs. Whether you’re on a desktop or a laptop, Google Docs is the most convenient way to work on the go. Now, you can get the Google Docs app for your Android device and share documents from Android using Google Docs app on your smartphone or tablet.
Here’s a quick look at the Google Docs app has to offer.
Top Features of Google Docs for Android
- Edits to your documents appear to collaborators in seconds
- Make quick changes to spreadsheets
- View your documents, PDFs, images and more.
- Upload and convert files to the Google Docs format
- Take a photo of printed text and convert it to a Google document
- Share docs with your phone’s contacts
The Google Docs app is pretty easy to use. When you install the app, it automatically authenticates your account using your Google account credentials (if you have logged in to Gmail on your device). The Google Docs app opens in the Dashboard view. The More drop-down list lets you access your text files, spreadsheets, and presentations.
You can access your Google docs by adding a shortcut to the Home screen. Simply,
1. Press the Menu button on your home screen and touch Add.
Ads by Google
2. Select Widgets and then Docs. The widget will appear on your device’s home screen.
Share Documents From Android Using Google Docs App
To create a new document or spreadsheet:
1. Press the Create a document button in the top right of the app.
2. Select the type of document you’d like to create; Document, Spreadsheet, or Document from photo.
A couple of drawbacks that I’ve noticed is that if you have documents saved in the older version of the Google Doc format, they don’t show up, so you may need to login to the browser version and manually update all files to the latest version. Formatting the docs is also a bit of a pain if you don’t have a keyboard attached.
Overall, the Google Docs app is a pretty decent app to access on your mobile Android device, and you can expect Google to improve its products and services in the days and months ahead. If you want to give this app a try, Download Google Docs from the Android Market.
If you have downloaded and tried Google Docs App on your Android device, share your impressions using the contact form below.