Dropbox isn’t just a handy cloud storage solution. It also lets you share files with your coworkers, friends and others easily. If you are not familiar with the process of sharing, this tutorial will show you how to share files on Dropbox and understand the restrictions that apply when you share with others.
You can share Dropbox folders with your coworkers when you want them to collaborate on the files inside the folder. When you create such a folder and share it, it will appear in the Dropbox account of every person with whom you shared the folder and each person can add, delete or edit the files inside that folder.
How to Share Files on Dropbox via the Web
You can share a file or folder in Dropbox in one of two ways; from the web version or from the desktop application. To share folders from the web version.
1. Sign in to your Dropbox account on the web.
2. Navigate to the file or folder you want to share and select it. Hover over the folder name and you will notice the Share button showing up on the far right of the screen.
3. Click the Share button. You will see two options for sharing.
- Click Invite people to collaborate to give others access to the files in your folder. In the Share[Folder Name] dialog, you must enter the email addresses of the people you want to share the files with. If you are a Dropbox Pro member, you can set permissions to view the folder. Otherwise it will become editable by anyone with whom you share the files. You can also add a personal message before sending out the invitations to share. Then click Share folder. Yuo can learn more about Shared Folder Permissions here.
- Click Send link. This window will also be displayed when you share just a single file with someone. Enter your email address and message and click Send. Again, if you have a Dropbox Pro account, you can set who can see this link as well as set an expiry period for it.
Create a Shared Folder in Dropbox
If you are not sharing an existing folder, you can create one from scratch, add the necessary files and share it with others. To do this:
1. On the Dropbox menu at the left of the screen, click Sharing.
2. In the Sharing screen, click New shared folder.
Ads by Google
3. In the Share a folder dialog, select I’d like to share an existing folder and click Next.
4. In the next screen, select the folder you want to share and click Next.
5. Enter the email address and message in the appropriate text boxes and click Share folder.
How to Share Files on Dropbox via the Desktop Application
If you have Dropbox installed on your Windows desktop, you can share your files and folders directly from within the app. To do this:
1. Open the Dropbox folder.
2. Right-click the folder you want to share.
3. Select Share This Folder or Share Dropbox link. This will open up the Sharing dialog box on the Dropbox website. You can follow the steps outlined above to complete the process.
When the invitee accepts your invitation, the folder will show up in their Dropbox account.
Points to Keep in Mind When Sharing Dropbox Files and Folders
- Choose the name of the shared folder carefully, as once the name is created and the folder shared, you cannot change it.
- You should only share files and folders that you have the legal right to share with others.
- The shared folder will be counted against the quota of every member with whom it is shared. Keep this in mind when sharing large sized folders with others who are using the basic account.
- Remember to unshare the folder or remove members after you have completed your job. Otherwise, the folders continue to remain in the Dropbox accounts of other users.
We hope you found the guide on how to share files on Dropbox useful.